LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

The Rules of Magic
Progress: 45%
Progress: 68%

Latest questionnaire meme

Got this from

1. Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?

There were reference books in my house when I was a small child and I enjoyed leafing through and looking at pictures of early rockets with overlays and such, plus my mother read to me. Books were early entertainment in my life.

2. What are some books you read as a child?

Big fave was The Cat in the Hat. I was reading above my level even as I was learning to read though. It's just what was handy.

3. What is your favorite genre?

Scifi/Fantasy/Horror (no serial killers or slasher stuff, but more supernatural stuff)

4. Do you have a favorite novel?

NO! I can't have favorites. I've given up trying. I get more enthusiastic about some books than others but which I'm most excited about depends on what I'm currently reading. Once I finish a really great book, I go looking for that next fix.

5. Where do you usually read?

In the comfy chair!

6. When do you usually read?

In the evenings, while trying to ignore family and the TV.

7. Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?

Absolutely.

8. Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?

Nope. It's stacked with the fiction on my currently reading pile.

9. Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?

All of the above, plus I get a lot of free Kindle books.

10. Do you keep most of the books you buy?
It varies. I've got too many and have to keep some in boxes, but Kindle has opened up new possibilities. I try to sell or give away books that I won't read again.

11. What are you reading now?

Circus of the Damned by Cornelia Grey

Once Upon a Time: A Short History of Fairy Tale by Marina Warner

The Dead Secret by Wilkie Collins

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Maurice Hindle

There's a few others, but these are the ones I'm trying to finish at present.

13. Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list?
Not a physical list, but I shelve books to read here and on GR and my Kindle is effectively a to read list, plus the physical books stacked next to my chair.

14. What's next?

Continuum by Shanna Lauffey is doe out within a week or two. It's definitely going to take precedence as soon as it's out.

15. What books would you like to reread?

If only I could reread them for the first time again, sigh! All the ones I would give 5 stars.

16. Who are your favourite authors?

I like discovering new authors, but Neil Gaiman, Shanna Lauffey, Stephen King I'll always look at anything new they do. Some dead authors are also favorites, like Anne McCaffrey, Roger Zelazny, Charles Dickens and many others.