LoraM

Progress: 48%

Tarzan of the Apes

Tarzan of the Apes - Edgar Rice Burroughs

by William Burroughs

This is a Classic story that is familiar to most people, having seen some version of it on television, as a movie and even in cartoons. Tarzan is iconic, but reading the original story really opened my eyes to the genius of the source material.

The writing itself is beautiful. I started reading and found it hard to stop because I was instantly transported into the story and the trials of Lord Greystoke and his wife as they became shipwrecked. The transition to the world of the apes and the interaction of the creatures of the jungle was so smooth that I was lost in the story for several chapters before I knew what had happened!

A large part of the story has been left out of film versions and I found the story more realistic with these plot lines in place. Also, the story takes a real turn towards Romance which I never knew!

"Come back to me," she whispered. "I shall wait for you- always."

That line alone reminds me that this was written not so long after certain Victorian novels with a penchant for Romance. In the later part of the book, I got the real feel of the jungle through the eyes of a French soldier, to whom it is all new.

Tarzan's first experience of civilization is different than any film version I have seen, and quite interesting. I did have the feeling at the end that there would be more of the story to tell, but luckily the collection I have includes the direct sequel, The Return of Tarzan. I'll have to read it soon!