LoraM

Kitchen Witchcraft
Rachel Patterson
Conrad Monk and the Great Heathen Army
Edoardo Albert
Magic Medicine: A Trip Through the Intoxicating History and Modern-Day Use of Psychedelic Plants and Substances
Cody Johnson
Hero at the Fall
Alwyn Hamilton
Progress: 5%
Pieces of Her
Karin Slaughter
John Peters in the land of Demons
A.H.matai
Tempests and Slaughter (The Numair Chronicles, Book One)
Tamora Pierce
Progress: 1%

Pines

Pines - Blake Crouch

by Blake Crouch

The opening of this story reminds me of the beginning of Nine Princes in Amber, because the Protagonist awakens, lacking memory of who he is, in a forest with light hurting his eyes.

He has no wallet or I.D., he's bruised up severely, and his neck hurts a lot. After some not very clear-headed investigation, he finds out where he is at least, and starts to remember what put him in his current condition.

In the quest to work out who he is, how he got where he is and why he can't contact anyone outside of a small Idaho town, a lot of confusing details work into the story to keep the brain working to make sense of what's going on. Clues to some sort of deception are constant and increase throughout.

There are some edge of your seat action scenes and it's a pretty wild ride. Near the end, just when I was getting worried that loose ends might not be explained until the sequels, things actually fall into place and the reader finally learns what it's all been about. The story kept me reading and left me breathless at times.

If you like mysteries and thrillers, this is recommended. Personally I need a rest!