LoraM

Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Progress: 47%
Progress: 76%
Artful - Martin Lake

As books about the Artful Dodger go, this is probably the best one that takes him into his exile in Australia. It is more true to Dodger's personality when boarding the ship to Oz than some others I've read or sampled.

It holds interest pretty well, although it does slow down in the middle. The later part of the book gets increasingly difficult to assimilate into believability but the first part was really good, so it deserves points for that. I got the feeling that the author found an old dictionary of redundant Victorian words and decided to slip them all in at once just a little past halfway through.

Without giving too much away, it gets interesting again when Jack finds himself back in his natural element. but after that I got the feeling that the author was struggling for plot. The ending was far too wimpy and I got the impression that another book will be forthcoming to continue the adventure, but the last 15% was a real slog so I'm not likely to look out for it.