LoraM

The Catacombs

The Catacombs (World's Scariest Places) (Volume 2) - Jeremy Bates

by Jeremy Bates

This is really good.

The story has strong characters with their own individuality and the dynamics between them form a wealth of subplot. Some of the chapters change from first person to third person, but it seems to work and gives some omniscient information about the thoughts of other characters than the narrator.

Parts of it are very intense, claustrophobic, just barely keeping the panic in check... then suddenly I had the giggles. This story is fun!

An interesting array of strange characters pass the main group in their subterranean adventure and add texture to the story. What a long, strange trip it's been!

About halfway, it gets really scary. I don't want to give spoilers but don't let the funny bits and interesting dynamics let you forget that this is a Horror story. It definitely earns its stripes as one in the second half. I know it's cliché, but I really could not stop reading for the last 30%, but had to see what would happen next.

There are a few typos, but not so many that it ruins the narrative and the story is so engrossing that it's hard to care about a few snags. Horror readers will definitely enjoy this one. Docking half a star for the imperfections, but it's a 5 star read!