LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

Original Magic: The Rituals and Initiations of the Persian Magi
Flowers, Stephen E., Ph.D.
Progress: 63/192pages
Progress: 59%

Mysteries

— feeling surprised
Abandon - Blake Crouch

I've said in various threads that I don't generally like Mysteries because they drive me nuts, trying to work them out. This is all true, yet sometimes I do read the occasional Mystery, just like I sometimes read the occasional Romance. In both cases, I need something that deviates from the usual formula.

In the case of Mysteries, police procedurals seem all basically alike to me. I don't care whether it's a cop or a PI or what green beret training he had, it's all just another bad Bruce Willis movie to me. Not interested.

Keep me away from anything to do with lawyers or courtrooms, and even further away from serial killers!

If a body is found in the first chapter, it's likely not for me. There would have to be a really interesting plot to override that, but yet another gritty police drama is not my forte.

Having said all that, I got an email from Netgalley a few minutes ago inviting me to make requests from a list of Mysteries! I suspect it's because I reviewed Pines. Most of them sound pretty uninteresting from my point of view. See the ranting above.

One sounded a little different. The description is as follows:

"When Caitlin Sommers finds herself alone in a deserted parking lot with blood on her clothes and no memory of the past few months, it seems like one of the nightmares that have tormented her for years…but it’s all too real. Desperate to learn the truth about where she’s been and what has happened to her but terrified of what she may find, Caitlin embarks on a search for answers that takes her from the safe suburban world she knows to a seedy town she’s never heard of, where a terrible truth from her past lies hidden—a truth she can’t quite remember yet can’t completely forget."

See what I mean? If I wasn't drowning in review promises, this one might have tempted me.

Then they offered me another Blake Crouch, as pictured here, but with a better cover.

The description:

"On Christmas Day in 1893, every man, woman, and child in a remote gold-mining town disappeared, belongings forsaken, meals left to freeze in vacant cabins—and not a single bone was ever found.

One hundred sixteen years later, two backcountry guides are hired by a history professor and his journalist daughter to lead them to the abandoned mining town so they can learn what happened. Recently, a similar party had also attempted to explore the town and was never heard from again. Now the area is believed to be haunted. This crew is about to discover, twenty miles from civilization with a blizzard bearing down, that they are not alone, and the past is very much alive."

Okay, I surrender. Send to Kindle.

Which is not the point of this post.

The point is, sometimes I do actually enjoy this genre if something is unusual. Anything supernatural or in an interesting setting or with an interesting character who couldn't be played by Bruce Willis might just grab my attention.

The last thing I need right now is more books to read. But I'm going to ask, can anyone recommend any unusual books in the Mystery genre that might appeal to my sense of the weird and wonderful like Crouch's new book does? I like having a variety of reading material to hand to accomodate my changing moods. I'm a Gemini you know.