LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

The Rules of Magic
Progress: 68%

Ghost Summer

Ghost Summer: Stories - Tananarive Due

by Tananarive Due

Ghost Summer is a collection of imaginative Horror stories. The introduction tells us that the author is a black woman activist, which in my opinion makes it a little more interesting.

The stories are told in a casual, conversational tone, like someone telling a story round a campfire. At times the narrative moves a little slowly and becomes repetitive, but the payoff for Horror story lovers is some pretty bizarre stuff.

The title story, Ghost Summer, is novelette length and perhaps the best story of the collection, although I found the first story, The Lake, very interesting and it took me to some unexplored corners of imagination. Some of the plot points went by rather quickly, but the characters formed well and the experience of the narrator came across clearly.

This would make a good addition to any Horror book collection.