LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

Tales of Men and Ghosts
Edith Wharton
Progress: 6%
First Templar Nation: How the Knights Templar Created Europe's First Nation-state
Freddy Silva
Progress: 51/451pages
Symphony of Ruin: A Labyrinth of Souls Novel
Christina Lay
Progress: 50%
High Witch (High Witch Book 1) (Volume 1)
Mona Hanna
Progress: 36%
Sleepy Hollow: Bridge of Bones (Jason Crane) (Volume 2)
Richard Gleaves
Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Progress: 47%
Progress: 76%

October Roundup Addendum

The legend of Sleepy Hollow - Washington Irving The Canterville Ghost - Oscar Wilde
— feeling ghost

I read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow as planned last night, then followed it up with another Classic, The Canterville Ghost! Both are short stories.

While neither was particularly scary, they were both entertaining and I can tick off two more Classics from my 'I really must read that someday' list.

So, mini-reviews:

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

This is written in an old version of English that reminds me of Quakers. It's the story of a lanky teacher, Icabod Crane, who moves to a small Pennsylvania Dutch town called Sleepy Hollow. He has aspirations to marry a local heiress and there is a tradition in the town of telling spooky stories, especially about a Hessian soldier who was killed by beheading and now haunts the roads as the Headless Horseman.

The story is funny in parts and certainly engaging. There's one exciting bit and I found the ending particularly amusing, as the reader is left to come to their own conclusion as to what actually happened. Well worth the time it took to read.

The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde

Again. this is more funny than scary, although it turns rather emotional near the end. An American family moves into an old English manor house and is warned that a ghost comes with the property, which they dismiss out of hand. When the ghost manifests, the family reacts in ways that the ghost doesn't expect and a comedy is born. There is a general Victorian tone to the narrative which suits the story well.

I'll say no more as it would give too much away, but this is short, free from several legitimate places like Gutenberg and I think Amazon, and definitely worth a read.