LoraM

Abandon

— feeling confused
Abandon - Blake Crouch

by Blake Crouch

I admit I wanted to read this because I enjoyed The Pines so much.

Abandon is a ghost town with a mystery; where did everybody go? On Christmas Day 1893, the whole population of the town just disappeared without trace. Scroll ahead to modern day, and a group that includes two paranormal investigators decide to visit the town and see what they can find out. Among them is Abigail, who is a journalist following the investigation.

The beginning where they have to go through some difficult conditions to climb a high, snowy mountain to get to the old mining town was pretty interesting, but the story almost lost me with the first flashback about the inhabitants of the town in 1893. I don't know, it just seemed to move slowly. Then suddenly things start happening and I found myself breathless with fear for the characters.

About a quarter of the way through, things happen that change the game. I was expecting a ghost story, but got something entirely different. The chapters continue to flip between 1893 and 2009-10 with some pretty unpleasant things happening in both. Most of the story I found slow going and not at all what I had expected. I have to admit that I was disappointed that there wasn't the supernatural element that having paranormal investigators involved made me assume.

The writing itself is very good, as I've seen with Crouch before, but the movement of the story itself was just too slow and depressing.