LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

Tales of Men and Ghosts
Edith Wharton
Progress: 6%
First Templar Nation: How the Knights Templar Created Europe's First Nation-state
Freddy Silva
Progress: 51/451pages
Symphony of Ruin: A Labyrinth of Souls Novel
Christina Lay
Progress: 50%
High Witch (High Witch Book 1) (Volume 1)
Mona Hanna
Progress: 36%
Sleepy Hollow: Bridge of Bones (Jason Crane) (Volume 2)
Richard Gleaves
Progress: 76%

The Ciphers of Muirwood

The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood Book 2) - Jeff Wheeler

by Jeff Wheeler

Second book in a series.

The story begins around the same time the first book was ending, so there is just a little crossover. An Earl is to be executed for refusing to sign an oath of submission. It's a shocking situation that violates everything the king's sworn oath to the Medium as a Maston stands for, and is witnessed by a loyal kings man who is imprisoned with his sons through a tower window. He realizes then that he and his sons must escape somehow, because they are likely to have their turn soon on the chopping block.

Meanwhile Maia has reached Muirwood Abbey and is settling into her studies, while dealing with mixed reactions from the other students due to her banished status. But there is no rest for Maia. Even more shocking news comes and the safety of the Abbey is compromised.

This is not a five star series, but it's really holding my attention and I'm looking forward to reading the third book. This one has fleshed out the characters who were introduced in the first book and some of them have developed significantly. I sometimes want to shake Maia and tell her not to be so naive, but she's generally a good character and I think she'll turn out alright in the end.

That is the one problem with this volume, it doesn't end. It's not exactly a cliffhanger, but an important situation is left unresolved so that reading the third book is compulsory. Luckily I have it waiting, but I don't like series books that hold me hostage!

Worthwhile Fantasy read.