LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

Tales of Men and Ghosts
Edith Wharton
Progress: 6%
First Templar Nation: How the Knights Templar Created Europe's First Nation-state
Freddy Silva
Progress: 51/451pages
Symphony of Ruin: A Labyrinth of Souls Novel
Christina Lay
Progress: 50%
High Witch (High Witch Book 1) (Volume 1)
Mona Hanna
Progress: 36%
Sleepy Hollow: Bridge of Bones (Jason Crane) (Volume 2)
Richard Gleaves

The Golem and the Djinni

— feeling what?!?
The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker

by Helene Wecker

My expectations of this story might have been a little inflated because I kept hearing how good it was, and I did enjoy it, but I didn't love it as much as I expected to. It was a good story and culturally interesting, but I just didn't connect with any of the characters. Of all of them, I think the djinni most appealed to my nature, but his offhand callousness often left me cold.

The whole concept of these two supernatural beings meeting in New York was pretty fascinating. Each of them keeping their secret, living apart from the human society that surrounds them, yet so different in nature. It was interesting to see the comparison between their experiences among humans.

Chava was far too subservient for me to identify with her, yet that is in the nature of a golem so it fit the story. Her circumstances and the unusual chain of events that brought her to her situation made for good reading and a lot of imagination was put into it. I think I was expecting more of magic though, and kept looking for a quality of enchantment that was never meant to be a part of the story. The writing is certainly good and I would read another book by this author.

Towards the end, the answers to unknowns are revealed and the connection between the two supernatural characters becomes clear. The ending was satisfying, though the story as a whole stopped just short of that for me. It lacked passion, but seemed to move forward methodically like the golem herself, always close to the earth when I was expecting to see the stars.

An interesting read, but it didn't engage my emotions.