LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

The Rules of Magic
Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Progress: 45%
Progress: 68%

Ten Bookish Questions

I'm late as usual, but joining in. Thanks to Bookloving Writer for her original post with the questions.

1. What book is on your nightstand now?

I don't often read in bed, but the table next to the chair I read in has Phantom by Susan Kay waiting to be started sitting under my Kindle, where I'm reading several other books.

2. What was the last truly great book that you read?

Truly great, 5 star, edge of my seat would most recently be Einstein’s Secret

by Irving Belateche.

1. 3. If you could meet any writer – dead or alive – who would it be? And what would you want to know?

Charles Dickens. I'd ask him what his vision was of what happened to the Artful Dodger and compare it with the various sequels that have come out about him.

1. 4. What books might we be surprised to find on your shelves?

A lot of non-fiction about temporal Physics and time travel theory.

1. 5. How do you organize your personal library?

Sort of in genre sections and by size because of the shelves I have available. My Kindle library is mostly by genre now.

1. 6. What book have you always meant to read and haven’t gotten around to yet? Anything you feel embarrased never to have read?

I would never feel embarrassed about not having read a book, but there are some popular ones still waiting for my attention, including older books like A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine l'Engle. I do keep meaning to read that one.

1. 7. Disappointing, overrated, just not good: what book did you feel you were supposed to like but didnt? Do you remember the last book you put down without finishing?

I put a lot of books down without finishing the sample and many of the most popular books do nothing for me. The Outlander series for example.

8. What kinds of stories are you drawn to? Any you stay clear of?

I'm drawn to different things at different times, but I always love good time travel and anything that makes me think. I'm not a real intellectual though. Sometimes it could be a well written Romance that makes me think about the nature of human emotion.

I avoid excessive gratuitous gore, though I love a good werewolf story which has necessary gore, and graphic sex, though I can enjoy artistic sensuality.

9. If you could require the president to read one book, what would it be?

The current president or the next one?

I guess for both it would be Time Shifters by Shanna Lauffey. Obama because I think he would enjoy it, Trump because a character that reminds me of him has some hilarious things happen to him. If one of the Democrats win, maybe The Rebels by John Jakes. To encourage or remind them respectively about the philosophy behind their country.

10. What do you plan to read next?

I've got a few more Netgalley new age books to read, but I'm dying to start Phantom by Susan Kay.