LoraM

Kitchen Witchcraft
Rachel Patterson
Conrad Monk and the Great Heathen Army
Edoardo Albert
Magic Medicine: A Trip Through the Intoxicating History and Modern-Day Use of Psychedelic Plants and Substances
Cody Johnson
Hero at the Fall
Alwyn Hamilton
Progress: 5%
Pieces of Her
Karin Slaughter
John Peters in the land of Demons
A.H.matai
Tempests and Slaughter (The Numair Chronicles, Book One)
Tamora Pierce
Ramiro Mendes, João Mendes
Progress: 1%

Classic German Baking

— feeling hungry
Classic German Baking: The Very Best Recipes for Traditional Favorites, from Pfeffernüsse to Streuselkuchen - Luisa Weiss

by Luisa Weiss

This cookbook is in many ways like a travel experience with beautiful color pictures of Germany as well as some of the foods made from the recipes. The introduction gives a good flavor of Germany and is followed by explanation of many of the ingredients specific to Germany, including the different fat content of butter from Europe to that of the US (I'm still trying to find out where England falls on the spectrum) and the use of Baker's Ammonia instead of baking powder as a raising agent and the difference in texture that results.

There are recipes for sweet and savoury foods that have measurements in both weight and volume for an international audience. They are made clear and easily adaptable for people from different countries to try. I'm especially interested in some of the cookies and was pleasantly surprised to find some made with cardamom, which I've found in Scandinavian cookies before.

Overall this book feels like a trip to Germany and an experience of typical fare, including savory tarts and wonderful breads. It's one of the best cookbooks I've seen for experiencing a specific country and I'm very tempted to get a hard copy!