LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld
Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Progress: 39%
Progress: 56%

Soframiz

Soframiz: Vibrant Middle Eastern Recipes from Sofra Bakery and Cafe - Ana Sortun, Maura Kilpatrick

by Ana Sortun and Maura Kilpatrick

The authors of this exotic cookbook collected recipes and cooking methods over a series of trips to Turkey and other places like Greece and started a cafe and bakery in Cambridge Massachusetts called Sofra Bakery & Cafe. They've shared some of their most popular recipes in this book.

The chapters include Breakfast, Meze, Flatbreads, Savory Pies, Cookies and Confections, Specialty Pastries, Cakes and Deserts, Beverages followed by chapters about what to keep in the pantry and special ingredients.

The insight into what makes a typical breakfast in Turkey was interesting from a cultural perspective and the use of ingredients like peppers, tahini etc give a real flavor of the sort of food that is typical of that part of the world. I'll have to admit that my biggest interest was in the baked goods, some of which I will definitely try!

The book is nicely presented with color pictures and clear instructions, even a photo diagram of how to assemble Flower Pogaca Rolls which is one of the recipes I will definitely be giving a try.

I love cookbooks like this because they give you the feeling that you've actually visited the country, or in this case perhaps the cafe. Highly recommended to those who enjoy exotic food.