LoraM

Progress: 48%

Gravity Spike

Gravity Spike: Episode Six of The Chronicles of the Harekaiian - Shanna Lauffey

by Shanna Lauffey

I tried to read this more slowly this time but I just couldn't stop in the last few chapters. This is episode 6 of 10 and I'm too deeply invested in the characters, especially Akalya, who has been called Kallie since the second book.

One of the things I love about this series is that it takes me to unexpected places and times. This one was especially interesting, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who isn't as far along in the series. It also goes deeply into Kallie's emotional past and adds another layer to this character's development, as well as the others. Marcus has a few surprises in his history too.

Usually series get too repetitive if they go on beyond 3 or 4 books, but this one keeps introducing new elements while keeping continuity on the original conflict. The relationship between Connor and Mason comes under the microscope this time and a side of Kallie's character that believes in doing the right thing comes into fruition.

She still has a fiercely independent nature, but watching her grow into someone who can work with others has been one of the most interesting aspects of the series, along with the tricks and foibles of time travel itself. I love how some complicated shifts in time are presented in a way that the reader can keep up.

This one ended with a hint of what will be dealt with in the next book. Not a cliffhanger, but an issue that has been unresolved through several books. I will be interested to see what is uncovered! All of the books of the series have ended with a satisfying conclusion, yet left things open to deal with in future episodes. I think it finds just the right balance.

I have no hesitation in giving this one 5 stars. The feels are strong, though I think we're about due for some more harrowing action like we had in the early books. It continues to be my favorite time travel story and one of the few series that I know I'll stick with all the way to the end.