LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

Tales of Men and Ghosts
Edith Wharton
Progress: 6%
First Templar Nation: How the Knights Templar Created Europe's First Nation-state
Freddy Silva
Progress: 51/451pages
Symphony of Ruin: A Labyrinth of Souls Novel
Christina Lay
Progress: 50%
High Witch (High Witch Book 1) (Volume 1)
Mona Hanna
Progress: 36%
Sleepy Hollow: Bridge of Bones (Jason Crane) (Volume 2)
Richard Gleaves
Progress: 47%
Progress: 76%

The Locked Door

by Austin Crawley

This is a short story about a woman who inherits a house from a strange aunt. She takes her young son to have a look at the place and is disheartened by its decrepit condition.

Though she keeps a close eye on her little boy, he has an independent streak and in the process of exploring the house, happens upon at least some of its secrets.

This was a re-read for me and like the first time, I find myself hoping the author will expand it into a book. The unusual aspects of the house are ripe for some interesting plot ideas and I would love to see it developed further.

The protagonist, Emma, is someone many women will be able to identify with. A single mother with tight finances, doing the best she can with a young child to care for. I thought the author's insights on what a woman would be feeling after a long drive and a disappointing, then frightening outcome smacked of reality and was artfully developed in the space that a short story has to offer.

Easy 5 stars.