LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld
Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Progress: 39%
Progress: 56%

Bloodfire

[ Bloodfire (CD) (Blood Destiny #1) by Harper, Helen ( Author ) May-2014 Compact Disc ] - Helen   Harper

by Helen Harper

This was an interesting idea. Mackensie grew up with a pack of shifters, but cannot shift herself. The pack protects her from discovery by the larger shifter community because they would kill her if they discovered she was human.

The mystery of why Mackensie was left with the shifters and what is behind what she calls the Bloodfire is what makes this story more interesting than the standard shifter stories with cookie cutter plots about lusting after the alpha. The characters in this one are actually interesting and distinctive, plus the writing is good and the editing is pristine.

There are elements about the plot that do make me roll my eyes. I don't believe a shifter 'pack' would be made up of multi-species members. At least we did have some wolves, but bears mixing with big cats and... hamsters? If the writing had been less good, that point would have lost me. There are also a lot of mythical elements mixed into one story; Fae, blood drinking goddesses and various other monsters to challenge the weres. Oh and an unlikely magician, although he does sort of remind me of a friend of mine who is into magick.

Despite being outside of my usual reading choices, I really did enjoy this story. I didn't identify with the protagonist, yet I found her interactions with the other characters interesting and overall, it made for a good story. I did want to slap her a few times and tell her to just tell the head alpha that her reason for not shifting during a fight was because a hamster wouldn't be likely to fare well in that situation, while her fighting skills with knives were well-trained and required hands.

I also guessed the reason for the Bloodfire fairly early on, yet still I enjoyed the read. I won't be continuing the series, but I will be watching this author to see what else she comes up with over time.