Lora's Rants and Reviews

The Museum of Things Left Behind

— feeling confused
The Museum of Things Left Behind - Seni Glaister

by Seni Glaister

My first impression of this one was that the language was cheerful and flowery, like you might expect from a story that promises to stretch the bounds of imagination. It then settled into a sort of Victorian feel. The use of language was really pleasant, but around the fourth chapter I was still wondering who the main character was and where the plot was going.

Eventually I caught on that Sergio, the president, was our hero and that the story was more about the political situation than about a museum. The museum does make an appearance, but in a fairly minor way.

The book made for pleasant reading, but seemed to lack a point. Characterization was strong, but plotting was weak. There were some amusing bits, like when the president deal with a protestor outside his home, but I would be hard pressed to explain a main conflict.

Some very nice writing though. I would try this writer again.