LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld
Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Progress: 39%
Progress: 56%

Halloween Bingo wrap-up, October reads and aftermath

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame - Victor Hugo, Walter J. Cobb SLEEPY HOLLOW: Rise Headless and Ride (Jason Crane) - Richard Gleaves The House of the Seven Gables - Robert S. Levine, Nathaniel Hawthorne Dracula - Bram Stoker The British Table: A New Look at the Traditional Cooking of England, Scotland, and Wales - Colman Andrews, Christopher Hirsheimer Letters To The Damned - Austin Crawley The Museum of Things Left Behind - Seni Glaister

I finished 7 books in October, 5 for Bingo and 2 Netgalley selections. I made Blackout on Bingo, yay!

I enjoyed the Halloween Bingo very much. That's sayng something because I don't usually do challenges. I can't deal with the stress of my own obsessive nature and I'm not the world's fastest reader.

However, this one was of special interest since I've been in a Horror book phase and I love Halloween! Would I do it again? Quite probably next year. Will I do other Bingos or challenges? Mmmm.... maybe. Certainly not right away.

I enjoyed choosing the books to fill the squares, but the one downside is I'm a random reader and I felt constricted by my own commitment to read all the books I chose. I also felt a little guilty about neglecting Netgalley books.

On the up side, I read 6 Classics, most of which I've wanted to read for ages:

The Ghost Pirates by William Hope Hodgson

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde

Dracula by Bram Stoker

I learned that not all books with young protagonists suck:

Bloodfire by Helen Harper

Demoniac Dance by Jaq D. Hawkins

Willa Wicked by A.M. Hudson

The bottom one was a bit young for me, but I really enjoyed the other two. I also learned that I really don't like Cozy Mystery but I can enjoy a Mystery like Thorneyhold by Mary Stewart.

I read a couple of 'fun' books:

Goblin Tales by Jim Hines

It Was A Dark and Stormy Night by Snoopy

and enjoyed some lesser known author Horror:

Hell Bound by Andrew P. Weston

Letters to the Damned by Austin Crawley

Rise Headless and Ride by Richard Gleaves

A few of the reads didn't strike me enough to mention and I might have DNF'd them if they weren't for the challenge, but it gave me some discipline to go ahead and get through them.

Over all it was great fun and I thank the organizers once again for making it so fun! I even won a prize. :D