LoraM

Don Quixote
Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Progress: 48%

Non-squicky Horror Books

SLEEPY HOLLOW: Rise Headless and Ride (Jason Crane) - Richard Gleaves A Christmas Tale - Austin Crawley Bloodfire - Helen   Harper Hell Bound (Heroes in Hell) - Andrew P. Weston Dinosaur Lake - Kathryn Meyer Griffith Wolf Hunt - Jeff Strand Ghost Story - Jeff Brackett Letters To The Damned - Austin Crawley Firestarter - Stephen King

I tried to answer on a thread about Horror books and BL wouldn't let me, so I'm doing a post.

The context is one of my Fantasy reading friends was trying a Horror book and quit reading when the plot got rapey. So would I!

So the post I wrote out and couldn't post explained that I don't like human ng take on metPHYSICAL IDEAS.monsters. No serial killers, general gorey stuff, rapists, psychos, or other things you can read in the news.

The one exception to the gore is werewolf books. You can't have a good werewolf story without making a mess, and to some extent vampire stories can get uncomfortable because they do kill people after all. Same with animal monsters, creature from the black lagoon etc.

I won't read anything where animals get hurt, again the exception being when the animal is the monster. I just read Bats for example, but I won't read stories where cats or dogs are hurt. No Cujo for me. Ironically, the only fluffy bunnies who bled in a tory I enjoyed was in Watership down.

What I do like tends to be supernatural Horror. Ghosts, demons, the unseen spiritual entity or an interesting take on metaphysical ideas.

So I tagged a few books I've really enjoyed for this post, but wanted to tell my friend that anything on my Horror shelf that has a rating is guaranteed not to have anything to do with rape, no psychokillers (except Cabal, which I haven't actually read) and no hurt animals. No tortured children either, I don't need that sort of thing in my head.

So, since I've made this a post, I'm inviting anyone to make suggestions that fit the above criteria. Excellent writing especially, I don't have time in my life for mediocre books.

I like the sort of Horror that is basically an extension of Fantasy. Not Romance but Dark Fantasy. Demons should be scary.