LoraM

Kitchen Witchcraft
Rachel Patterson
Conrad Monk and the Great Heathen Army
Edoardo Albert
Magic Medicine: A Trip Through the Intoxicating History and Modern-Day Use of Psychedelic Plants and Substances
Cody Johnson
Hero at the Fall
Alwyn Hamilton
Progress: 6%
Pieces of Her
Karin Slaughter
John Peters in the land of Demons
A.H.matai
Tempests and Slaughter (The Numair Chronicles, Book One)
Tamora Pierce
Progress: 9%

Miss Treadway and the Field of Stars

Miss Treadway and the Field of Stars: A Novel - Miranda Emmerson

by Miranda Emmerson

I found it difficult to settle down to the beginning chapters of this book. The premise comes across; an actress is missing. But it was like coming into the middle of a conversation or a scene in a film without an establishing shot. People are talking about what's going on and the reader has to catch up and absorb enough to get a handle on it all.

The style of writing gave it the feeling of behind the scenes at the theatre where all is organised chaos, but it also made it difficult to connect with any of the characters and get properly immersed into the story.

The story does progress and it evokes a feeling of 1960s London which is what attracted me to it, but I had to absorb it a chapter or two at a time to keep my mind from wandering. I just never felt quite grounded in it.