LoraM

Progress: 48%

A Christmas Carol

A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens

by Charles Dickens

What can anyone say about a Dickens Classic?

This story has stood the test of time for good reason. Some of Dickens' stories can be overly wordy and full of too many characters and get confusing, but this one is straight forward and tells the story in a clear, linear fashion like the best of his work; stories like David Copperfield and Oliver Twist. Only it's a short story so it sticks closely to the main character: Ebenezer Scrooge.

Most people in the western world will have either read this or seen a movie version at some time in their lives. If you haven't read the original, I highly recommend it. Only one film version has ever really done it justice in my opinion and that was an old black and white version with Alastair Sim playing the title role.

It is an interesting look at the supernatural and a highly moral story, highlighting the pitfalls of greed and avarice. Most of all it gives the reader a feeling of the joys of the Christmas holiday and the traditions which became attached to it in Victorian England. Dickens effectively gave us Christmas as we have come to know it in this story, beautifully told.