LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

The Goblin King (A Tale of the Seven Kingdoms) (Volume 1)
Michael Card
Progress: 53%

Surviving the Evacualtion: London

Surviving The Evacuation, Book 1: London - Frank Tayell

by Frank Tayell

I generally don't read zombie novels, but I was attracted to this one. I think it was the word LONDON across the bookcover.

It was an enjoyable read. It's written first person, like a survivor is keeping a journal of his efforts to stay alive. The things that happen sound oh so plausible, once you accept the idea of zombies of course.

It's strength was in watching the character develop. He starts out as an ordinary guy used to soft city life. He's not a hero and doesn't have any special abilities, but he does have a friend in the military who insists he stays behind during the evacuation because he has a broken leg. Hints are dropped that there may be more to it than that.

He's on his own and has to survive, pulling out every inner resource and bits of knowledge he has to see to what's most important. Food, water, not being detected, weapons when that becomes inevitable, transport, etc.

It's part of a series, so the ending doesn't entirely end his story. It does have a conclusion and some revelations. If I were a zombie fan, I would definitely read the other books in the series. It kept my attention and the character has some decent, human qualities that come out in some very challenging circumstances.