Lora's Rants and Reviews

Don Quixote
Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Progress: 64%

The Art of Leather Burning

The Art of Leather Burning: Step-by-Step Pyrography Techniques - Lora Susan Irish

by Lora Susan Irish

This is a very practical book and easy to follow. It covers everything from types of pyrography tools, adjustable settings and other materials to leather work and all the practical details that go into working with leather, types and methods for burning designs.

I couldn't resist looking ahead to the designs provided in the back, but in doing so I discovered a real strength of the book. It doesn't just show you how to trace lines, but goes into detail about how to achieve shaded effects that make a project look really professional.

The segment on working with leather sticks to basics and there are recommendations for more detailed books on that aspect of the craft. This book is about the decorating process and it really delivers. It suggests practice grids to get to know the different patterns and how different tips and temperatures affect the outcome and also covers different types of dyes and other colorings that a crafter might want to use after getting the burned design onto the leather.

Overall an excellent book that does what it says on the cover and does it well and in great detail.