Lora's Rants and Reviews

Don Quixote
Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Progress: 64%

A Tale du Mort

A Tale du Mort - Jaimey Grant;Wendy Swore;Rita J. Webb;Paige Ray;Jeanne Voelker;K. G. Borland;Gwendolyn McIntyre;Katrina Monroe;S. M. Carrière

by Katrina Monroe

Where do I begin to write a review of this book? It's dark humour with quirky characters that cross the boundaries of the living and the dead from an 'Under' and 'Above' set up to Egyptian gods, one of which becomes an assistant mortician 'Above' when his job for millenia has been to guide the souls of the dead 'Below'.

It's like something Neil Gaiman and Clive Barker might have collaborated on with a touch of Terry Pratchett humour. Yet it has a distinctive voice of its own. Unfortuneately I couldn't quite connect with it. I've tried to work out what's missing for me. Plenty of dialogue, is it description? In some places there is very vivid description.

I think maybe I just failed to see progression and a point to the overall plot. I kept reading and waiting to 'get' it, but I never did.

Oh well, you can't win them all.