LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

Tales of Men and Ghosts
Edith Wharton
Progress: 6%
First Templar Nation: How the Knights Templar Created Europe's First Nation-state
Freddy Silva
Progress: 51/451pages
Symphony of Ruin: A Labyrinth of Souls Novel
Christina Lay
Progress: 50%
High Witch (High Witch Book 1) (Volume 1)
Mona Hanna
Progress: 36%
Sleepy Hollow: Bridge of Bones (Jason Crane) (Volume 2)
Richard Gleaves
Progress: 47%
Progress: 76%

Letters to the Damned

Letters To The Damned - Austin Crawley

Reposted because my review disappeared!

by Austin Crawley

This one didn't waste any time with the creepy happenings! First scene and I'm already afraid to reach for my cat under the bed.

It also gets points for diversity for a Mexican protagonist. His wife has just died in a sporting accident and at the suggestion of his business partner, he goes away for a while so that his grief won't affect his work. He sees a tabloid story about a post box in an English village where residents send letters to their dead relatives and although he doesn't believe in ghosts or magic post boxes, the village is the sort of place his wife would have liked so he goes there and encounters the sort of strange village residents that make for good Horror movies. At first they just seem quirky, but then some weird stuff starts to happen in relation to the post box.

I liked the main character in this one. He has respect for women, despite the influence of a misogynist uncle, and he's generally a nice guy. The real strength of the book though is the supernatural happenings and the way the reader is smoothly drawn into an ordinary situation turning very strange. There are some genuine chills to be found here!

A blog post also says the main character's background comes from the author's own first hand experience, which I found interesting because a couple of people reading this with me the first time didn't think the cultural references were genuine.

Overall it was a really good read and left me thinking a lot. Things were explained, but not over explained so that it left me with a lot of contemplation. I am reading it again, for a group read this time and might do so on Halloween because those scary bits really had me going the first time!

I've read one other book and a short story by this author and already had him on my authors to watch list. I'll be interested to see what he comes up with next.