LoraM

Kitchen Witchcraft
Rachel Patterson
Conrad Monk and the Great Heathen Army
Edoardo Albert
Magic Medicine: A Trip Through the Intoxicating History and Modern-Day Use of Psychedelic Plants and Substances
Cody Johnson
Hero at the Fall
Alwyn Hamilton
Progress: 6%
Pieces of Her
Karin Slaughter
John Peters in the land of Demons
A.H.matai
Tempests and Slaughter (The Numair Chronicles, Book One)
Tamora Pierce
Progress: 9%

Traitor to the Throne

Traitor to the Throne - Alwyn Hamilton

by Alwyn Hamilton

After reading the first story in this series, I really wanted to continue. The first chapter of this second volume recaps some of what went on in Rebel of the Sands and reminds the reader of the most important characters from that book. Then we're quickly into new adventures.

There is continuity in that the rebellion is still striving to overthrow Ahmed's brother and the beautiful mythology begun in the first book continues and expands, but the action is turned up a notch and some new perspective comes into Amani's adventures. In many ways this story is even better than the first one! It also recaptures the exotic, mock-Arabic atmosphere of the first book and the fascinating variations on Djinni magic are very imaginative.

Amani is put in one situation after another that looks like she may not be able to get out of this time, and some old friends and acquaintances reappear with new significance. The story had me gripped and wanting to just keep reading all the way to the end, apart from one very dramatic scene that was so powerful that I had to put the book down for a few minutes to assimilate the rush of emotion.

The story gave me a real roller coaster of emotions from joy to tragedy. It also had me constantly wondering who could be trusted and who couldn't and was full of surprises!

The end wraps up the current situation, but leaves us in a place where there is definitely more to tell. I often complain about that in first books but I don't mind it so much in a second book because I've committed to the series of my own free will then. The next book is predicted for 2018 and I will have to wait

This series is some of the best Fantasy I've read this century. I can't recommend it highly enough.