LoraM

EMP: Heading Home

— feeling misdoubt
EMP: Heading Home - Wilson Harp

by Wilson Harp

This second book in a series starts not too long after the first book ends. David still thinks about his wife and daughter in Chicago, sure in his heart that they must have survived, and after his mother dies, there is nothing to hold him in his home town. Things are running as smoothly as can be expected in the little town and he wants to come back, but he resolves to find his family and bring them back too.

His developing relationship with his old girlfriend, Anne, is a complication. He thinks she understands that he can't very well bring her along to help find his wife, but she doesn't want him to travel alone when there are dangers along the way from survivors who haven't been as organized as their town. Without giving away too many details, David begins his journey well supplied and with companions who can watch his back.

At first things seem far too easy, and it isn't until the last quarter of the book that their journey runs into serious hazards. It was at this point that I began to think that this book was going to be all about the journey and leave me having to buy a third book if I wanted to see how it would all come out. However, the story did come to an end with most things resolved, though one loose end could become a new story. In a way it seemed a little rushed at the end and it did start to lose me when a reaction to something didn't feel realistic, but over all I did enjoy the story, if not quite as much as the first book.

As a contribution to the Dystopian genre, I think the series has a lot to offer in dealing with details of how people might react and deal with surviving in a collapsed world.