LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

Tales of Men and Ghosts
Edith Wharton
Progress: 6%
First Templar Nation: How the Knights Templar Created Europe's First Nation-state
Freddy Silva
Progress: 51/451pages
Symphony of Ruin: A Labyrinth of Souls Novel
Christina Lay
Progress: 50%
High Witch (High Witch Book 1) (Volume 1)
Mona Hanna
Progress: 36%
Sleepy Hollow: Bridge of Bones (Jason Crane) (Volume 2)
Richard Gleaves
Don Quixote
Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Progress: 47%
Progress: 76%

Reading progress update: I've read 25%.

At the Water's Edge: A Novel - Sara Gruen

This is hilarious. I don't even know what genre to call it. I only read it because the writing style in the author's other book impressed me so much, but I had only a vague idea what it was about.

Basically you've got an American couple in the late part of WW2 and their friend, plus the girlfriend he should have married by now but he's commitment shy. Both men were rejected by the military, one is color blind and the other has flat feet.

So, they take a boat through the middle of a war to go monster hunting in Scotland! Loch Ness of course.

What's so funny is the culture. 1940s Americans with a fair bit of money used to hotel porters and desk clerks encounter remote Scottish inn with a bear of a landlord who doesn't appreciate some bloody yank pounding on his door late at night expecting 'service'. The wife is enduring holdover sea sickness and between the difference in food and the rationing, is finding it all rather a challenge.

Amazon has it listed under Historical Fiction and War. That makes sense because of the setting, but the interactions are priceless.