LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld

Broken Homes

— feeling doubt
Broken Homes - Ben Aaronovitch

by Ben Aaronovitch

This 4th book in the series started out differently in that there was no immediate connection to magic. As with most murder stories, a body is involved, but why Peter Grant would be involved isn't immediately apparent.

I don't know if it's the story itself or too many people yapping at me when I'm trying to read, but I never quite worked out the motivation of the Faceless Man, as he's called in this. It's also the first of this series that I felt ended without fully resolving. It wasn't quite a cliffhanger, but a significant and unexpected twist near the end left me feeling the story was unfinished.

The journey was enjoyable. As always, the characters were distinctive and some funny moments make it all good fun, but I'm marking this one down for leaving me feeling that it wasn't finished.