LoraM

Progress: 61%

The Xanth Novels, Books 38-40

The Xanth Novels: Books 38–40 - Piers Anthony

by Piers Anthony

I haven't read the previous Xanth Novels but had heard they were really good so thought I would dive in and see how it goes.

The first thing that struck me was that the writing seems directed at a very young audience, both in tone and word choices. Referring to a woman's genitals as her "whatever" was taking it a little far in my opinion.

The set up of the first story reminded me of many classic fairy tales. A woman makes a wish at a magic well and everything immediately goes spectacularly wrong. Check.

This of course leads to a question and off we go. Visit the mysterious local wizard, check.

This volume contains three separates stories; Board Stiff, Five Portraits and Isis Orb. Each story is self-contained, but I felt they were written to a younger audience and I felt as if I were reading children's fairytales. I think I would have enjoyed the stories more as a teenager. I would recommend them to someone who enjoys reading more YA, as the sense of humor is good but it just wasn't the sort of thing that could take me to deep pov.