LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

Tales of Men and Ghosts
Edith Wharton
Progress: 6%
First Templar Nation: How the Knights Templar Created Europe's First Nation-state
Freddy Silva
Progress: 51/451pages
Symphony of Ruin: A Labyrinth of Souls Novel
Christina Lay
Progress: 50%
High Witch (High Witch Book 1) (Volume 1)
Mona Hanna
Progress: 36%
Sleepy Hollow: Bridge of Bones (Jason Crane) (Volume 2)
Richard Gleaves
Don Quixote
Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Progress: 47%
Progress: 76%

Why I Love Halloween Bingo!

1. I love everything Halloween. As soon as the bats and pumpkins come out, my inner Goth emerges for the season.

2. It inspires me to read my book backlog! Since I like supernatural or monster stories, I do tend to acquire books that would fit Halloween Bingo squares. Giving me two months to read 25 of them makes me prioritise them and find more time to read!

3. I've read more Classics. I've been attempting to read Classics interspersed with more recent books in general, but Classic Horror like Dracula, The Invisible Man, etc. sat around on my tbr until last year's Halloween Bingo. Now I've read enough of them that I had to make a special effort to find one I hadn't read yet!

4. Comraderie. It's fun to compare book choices with others playing and to make new friends in the process!

5. Book recommendations. Watching others choose their books and reading their reviews after leads me to some good reads!

6. The cards are so pretty! Seriously, the effort our hostesses go to for these results in some attractive Bingo cards!

7. Markers creativity. While our hostesses are expressing their creativity on the cards, the participants are inspired to seek out interesting markers, even more so with this years calls.

8. Buddy reads. Funnelling our reading into Horror/Mystery means more people looking at the same books and buddy reads can happen, either officially through the discussion group or individually by agreement.

9. Most of all, having a challenge going gives me an excuse to get out of doing things that take me away from my reading, so I get more done! Just for a couple of months. Then I get r/l social again. ;)

Edted to add:

10. Anticipation of the next square to be called! This has added a whole new level of excitement and torment on those in between days!

11. Pushing my reading comfort zone. Last year I pushed this a LOT. This year I'm pushing into more YA and Mystery so far, and even braved the serial killers for the sake of Clive Barker.

Thanks to Ani for the additional suggestions!