LoraM

Progress: 36/280pages
The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock
Imogen Hermes Gowar
Progress: 5%
About Time: Einstein's Unfinished Revolution (Penguin Science)
Paul Davies
Progress: 57%
Don Quixote
Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Progress: 48%

Darkest London: I've read 15%.

Stalking Jack - Madison Kent

I don't know what it is about Jack the Ripper that holds fascination after all this time. As much as I generally avoid serial killer stories, I'm just as intrigued by this case as many people are.

I admit that the cover drew me to this book. I got it on a freebie and into the slush it went, excavated now for a dark story set in London.

So far the author is showing a limited knowledge of Victorian convention, dialect, British English or proper use of apostrophes.Yet the writing is strangely engaging and I'm taking a liking to the main character, Madeleine.

She's the poster girl for an overused trope: the Victorian woman who has an independent streak and pushes the boundaries of what is expected from women of her time and place. The language sometimes gives away an amateur writer who has English women describing their house as "six blocks away from the madness" or offering to "exchange contact details", not to mention referring to the Mormon's.

Yet despite this inattention to detail or language used in the chosen time and place as well as correct use of punctuation, the tale is unfolding in a way that is keeping my interest... with the occasional cringe.

Madeleine is American, from Chicago, and is recently widowed. Her trip to London is part of her grieving process, but she is also a fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his Sherlock Holmes novels. When an opportunity presents itself to play amateur sleuth, she grabs it and never mind the danger.

This could get good, if the English characters stop speaking in American terms. ;P

If anyone isn't aware, 'blocks' are American. In England, they would be six streets away and would probably say ten minutes away instead anyway. Exchanging contact details is late twentieth century. In Victorian England, they might exchange calling cards or if they weren't of a class to use them, they would simply give an address. I expect the apostrophe issue will be glaringly obvious to all here.

Oh, and the story would suit the amateur sleuth square as well if anyone is interested.