LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My own unapologetic opinions on books and writing.

Tales of Men and Ghosts
Edith Wharton
Progress: 6%
First Templar Nation: How the Knights Templar Created Europe's First Nation-state
Freddy Silva
Progress: 51/451pages
Symphony of Ruin: A Labyrinth of Souls Novel
Christina Lay
Progress: 50%
High Witch (High Witch Book 1) (Volume 1)
Mona Hanna
Progress: 36%
Sleepy Hollow: Bridge of Bones (Jason Crane) (Volume 2)
Richard Gleaves
Progress: 47%
Progress: 76%

Amateur Sleuth Square

A Spark of Justice - J.D. Hawkins

This is my only re-read this year.

i didn't read it for Bingo, but did read it last March. My review is here: http://loram.booklikes.com/post/1541740/a-spark-of-justice

It's a fun book and I've wanted to read it again, so when I saw amateur sleuth as one of the categories I thought of it right away.

The protagonist is an insurance investigator who is just supposed to establish whether the death of a lion tamer was an unfortunate accident or foul play, but the circus people start messing with him and a few things happen that look like someone is out to kill him, so he gets in a lot deeper than his job should entail.

I enjoyed the focus on the big cats. While I don't condone keeping them the way circuses historically have done, this is an opportunity to step into a fantasy circus world where the cats are better cared for. I've got a soft spot for the panther, though the lion adds the most humour.

Anyway, looking forward to starting this one again later today.