LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

Taking Up Space
Chelsea Kwakye, Patience Oyenike Ogunbiyi
One Word Kill (Impossible Times #1)
Mark Lawrence
Progress: 52%
Little Darlings
Melanie Golding
Walking to Aldebaran
Adrian Tchaikovsky
The Immortal City
Amy Kuivalainen
Dracopedia Field Guide: Dragons of the World from Amphipteridae through Wyvernae
William O'Connor
Limited Wish (Impossible Times #2)
Mark Lawrence
The Dark Sides of Empathy
Fritz Breithaupt, Andrew B B Hamilton
Pagan Portals - Gods and Goddesses of Wales
Halo Quin
Progress: 19%
Unfettered
Kevin Hearne, Michael J. Sullivan, Brandon Sanderson, Lev Grossman, Patrick Rothfuss, Daniel Abraham, Shawn Speakman, Jennifer Bosworth, Mark Lawrence, Blake Charlton, Peter V. Brett, Geno Salvatore, Robert V.S. Redick, Eldon Thompson, David Anthony Durham, Peter Orull
Progress: 10%

Ramses the Damned

— feeling mummy
Ramses the Damned: The Passion of Cleopatra - Anne Rice, Christopher Rice

by Anne & Christopher Rice

Curiosity got the better of me on this collaboration. Once upon a time I loved reading Anne Rice's early vampire books and I've enjoyed one book by Christopher Rice (Vines) despite being written in present tense (the ultimate sin).

So, I started reading and my first impression was that it had the tone of those early vampire books and that perhaps the collaboration with her son was what Anne needed to get back on track. I started having some doubts when it became overtly sexual and the emphasis on gay sex started to impede the story flow. I don't object to gay sex, but I generally don't want to read about a lot of sex in general. It also dragged in a few places.

It's the story of Bektaten (totally fictional) who developed a formula to attain eternal life. The formula comes to Ramses and then the Egyptian Queen Cleopatra, making them both immortal. Each of them shared their immortality with a few favorites and conflicts ensue.

This isn't, as I had assumed, a new vampire novel. No blood drinking has taken place. The immortality elixer is a new thing, not explored in any previous books I've read by either author, though there are some Ramses books by Anne Rice that I haven't read so this might be a series I just wasn't aware of. The Egyptian theme seems to be a favorite of hers.

The important thing is that I was drawn into the story and began to get to know the characters and all their foibles. My sympathies were naturally with Cleopatra, as she's a favorite historical figure, though not the nicest person in this story. I had some problem with keeping secondary characters in context as they weren't as well-defined as they needed to be, but it all fell into place near the end when the significance of their roles comes to fruition.

I found it interesting how the story explored concepts of reincarnation and afterlife, encompassing a few different belief systems within the plot and the beliefs of the main characters. The end seemed to drag out a long time, but the loose ends were all tidied up while still leaving room for some of the characters to appear in a new story.