LoraM

The Flight of the Griffin
C.M. Gray
Progress: 65%

Going Postal

Going Postal (05) by Pratchett, Terry - Briggs, Stephen [Paperback (2005)] - Terry Pratchet

by Terry Pratchett

Terry Pratchett is undeniably one of the best humorous fantasy writers ever born. I'll admit this wasn't a favorite for me, but it had its merits.

A con man is given a choice: get hanged or sort out the post office at Ankh-Morpork. There are times when he wonders which was the better option. His staff include the usual Pratchett array of interesting characters, including a gollum. The place is in disarray to say the least and needs, well, sorting!

I loved his alternative to the modern Internet, the clacks. I'm told it shows up in other novels but this was my first experience of them. Typical Discworld technology forms a backdrop that will look familiar to Pratchett readers and adventures ensue.

There's a dark side to this one. First of all the title has other connotations as a term used for mass shootings in post offices, which was a thing around the 1980s. The role Vetinari plays in this reflects backroom deals in politics with a heavy dose of corruption.

On the surface it's a typical Pratchett comical romp, but watch for those underlying meanings!