LoraM

Guy Ogilvy
The Taste of Different Dimensions: 15 Fantasy Tales from a Master Storyteller
Alan Dean Foster
Unfettered
Kevin Hearne, Michael J. Sullivan, Brandon Sanderson, Lev Grossman, Patrick Rothfuss, Daniel Abraham, Shawn Speakman, Jennifer Bosworth, Mark Lawrence, Blake Charlton, Peter V. Brett, Geno Salvatore, Robert V.S. Redick, Eldon Thompson, David Anthony Durham, Peter Orull
Progress: 10%
Don Quixote
Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Progress: 71%

Going Postal

Going Postal (05) by Pratchett, Terry - Briggs, Stephen [Paperback (2005)] - Terry Pratchet

by Terry Pratchett

Terry Pratchett is undeniably one of the best humorous fantasy writers ever born. I'll admit this wasn't a favorite for me, but it had its merits.

A con man is given a choice: get hanged or sort out the post office at Ankh-Morpork. There are times when he wonders which was the better option. His staff include the usual Pratchett array of interesting characters, including a gollum. The place is in disarray to say the least and needs, well, sorting!

I loved his alternative to the modern Internet, the clacks. I'm told it shows up in other novels but this was my first experience of them. Typical Discworld technology forms a backdrop that will look familiar to Pratchett readers and adventures ensue.

There's a dark side to this one. First of all the title has other connotations as a term used for mass shootings in post offices, which was a thing around the 1980s. The role Vetinari plays in this reflects backroom deals in politics with a heavy dose of corruption.

On the surface it's a typical Pratchett comical romp, but watch for those underlying meanings!