LoraM

Progress: 66%

Her Name Was Rose

Her Name Was Rose - Claire Allan

by Claire Allan

Emily, a woman with an anxiety disorder, witnesses a hit and run that kills a woman with a baby right in front of her. Her first thoughts are that it was meant to be herself or that her ex is somehow behind it. She finds out who the woman is and begins to stalk her Facebook profile, even attending her funeral.

She becomes obsessed with the life of Rose and without intending to actually take over her life, starts to fill some of the empty spaces Rose has left behind. The protagonist, Emily, is neurotic. I won't go into detail but it all unfolds as the story goes along. She does prove you don't have to like or identify with the protagonist to enjoy a good story.

A lot of hints are dropped early on that there's something off about the situation. Apart from Rose being killed of course. Working out what's going on under the surface is part of the interest factor. Mystery readers would definitely enjoy it. Questions include was Rose murdered? If so, who was behind it?

Uncovering the truth leads Emily to find that more than one person close to Rose is not as they seem. For the most part, I found the story well written and enjoyable. Emily's concerns and need to deal with her anxiety and past history is well represented, though it could have gone further in some situations that would make a person without a disorder get anxious.

I didn't like the end. I liked the way it was plotted, but a final twist was made a little too easy and the very end just didn't ring true. It was doing okay until the very last line, which really blew it for me.

Overall though, it was a good read and although I guessed the first part of the ending, I couldn't be sure until I got there.