LoraM

Black Wings
Megan Hart
Progress: 32%
The Unicorn Anthology
Henrnandez, Coville Bruce, Sara A. Mueller, A.C. Wise, Marina Fitch, Peter S. Beagle, Dave Smeds, David Levine, Carrie Vaughn, Karen Joy Fowler, Garth Nix, Patricia A. McKillip
Progress: 26%
Progress: 71%

Gypsy Blood

Gypsy Blood - Jeff Gunhus

by Jeff Gunhus

The very first chapter of this one had some attention-grabbing phrases that sucked me right into the story to see what was going to happen. A couple of chapters in and there was some graphic violence that challenged my squeamishness, but there was also a spooky aspect to the situation that made me want to know what was going on too much to let a little grossness put me off.

The story develops into a sort of supernatural mystery-thriller. Corbin Stewart is a writer having a hard time with finances and writer's block. He goes to Paris and finds himself caught up in some sort of war between a mysterious cloaked albino cult and the local Roma after his blood is tainted while trying to help an old man being attacked in an alley. A woman who says she works for his publisher is somehow involved.

There was a constant stream of surprises in this one. Just when I started to think I knew what was going on, another twist would throw a wobbler into the mix. It all became clear except which side certain characters were on. There was a certain amount of keeping the reader guessing on that one until the very end.

I can't help wondering if genuine Roma people might take offense at the way the group in the book are portrayed, but the story had plenty of action and a supernatural aspect that kept it interesting. The violence and grossness would return, but at least it wasn't a constant and only came in where the story was moved forward by it.

A couple of things were overly convenient but overall I really enjoyed the story and would definitely read more from this author.