LoraM

Progress: 20%

Gypsy Blood

Gypsy Blood - Jeff Gunhus

by Jeff Gunhus

The very first chapter of this one had some attention-grabbing phrases that sucked me right into the story to see what was going to happen. A couple of chapters in and there was some graphic violence that challenged my squeamishness, but there was also a spooky aspect to the situation that made me want to know what was going on too much to let a little grossness put me off.

The story develops into a sort of supernatural mystery-thriller. Corbin Stewart is a writer having a hard time with finances and writer's block. He goes to Paris and finds himself caught up in some sort of war between a mysterious cloaked albino cult and the local Roma after his blood is tainted while trying to help an old man being attacked in an alley. A woman who says she works for his publisher is somehow involved.

There was a constant stream of surprises in this one. Just when I started to think I knew what was going on, another twist would throw a wobbler into the mix. It all became clear except which side certain characters were on. There was a certain amount of keeping the reader guessing on that one until the very end.

I can't help wondering if genuine Roma people might take offense at the way the group in the book are portrayed, but the story had plenty of action and a supernatural aspect that kept it interesting. The violence and grossness would return, but at least it wasn't a constant and only came in where the story was moved forward by it.

A couple of things were overly convenient but overall I really enjoyed the story and would definitely read more from this author.