LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

Taking Up Space
Chelsea Kwakye, Patience Oyenike Ogunbiyi
One Word Kill (Impossible Times #1)
Mark Lawrence
Progress: 52%
Little Darlings
Melanie Golding
Walking to Aldebaran
Adrian Tchaikovsky
The Immortal City
Amy Kuivalainen
Dracopedia Field Guide: Dragons of the World from Amphipteridae through Wyvernae
William O'Connor
Limited Wish (Impossible Times #2)
Mark Lawrence
The Dark Sides of Empathy
Fritz Breithaupt, Andrew B B Hamilton
Pagan Portals - Gods and Goddesses of Wales
Halo Quin
Progress: 19%
Unfettered
Kevin Hearne, Michael J. Sullivan, Brandon Sanderson, Lev Grossman, Patrick Rothfuss, Daniel Abraham, Shawn Speakman, Jennifer Bosworth, Mark Lawrence, Blake Charlton, Peter V. Brett, Geno Salvatore, Robert V.S. Redick, Eldon Thompson, David Anthony Durham, Peter Orull
Progress: 10%

Unnatural Creatures

Unnatural Creatures - Maria Dahvana Headley, Neil Gaiman

edited by Neil Gaiman

This is a collection of mostly excellent stories edited by Neil Gaiman. Naturally the quality of writing is set to a high bar and I enjoyed most of them very much. Except for Gaimans own contribution, they are all previously published somewhere, one as far back as 1909! Many are by known authors, though I'm not familiar with a lot of them.

Ironically, the first one I thought was a little slow was Gaiman's own story, which was number 12 and followed by a werewolf story that was a favorite of his, but I couldn't get into it. The theme of the anthology is strange and mythological creatures. Each story has at least one of these unnatural beasties. Or something close to it. The second to last one was a stand-out for an original approach to this theme and very well written.

As anthologies go, this was very high quality, but what else could you expect from Neil Gaiman?