LoraM

Progress: 26%
A Conjuring of Light
V.E. Schwab
Progress: 36%
SLEEPY HOLLOW: General of the Dead (Jason Crane Book 3)
Richard Gleaves
Progress: 74%
Don Quixote
Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Progress: 71%

Sound - The Fabric of Soul, Consciousness, Reality, and the Cosmos

Sound—The Fabric of Soul, Consciousness, Reality, and the Cosmos - Ramiro Mendes, João Mendes

by Ramiro Mendes, João Mendes

Non-fiction

This was interesting from the start. Physics as it applies to the natural world has always been of interest to me so as soon as it mentioned that sound waves forty octaves above middle C become light, I was completely entranced.

It went a little transcendental after that and seemed to strike a balance between science and the metaphysical. The first chapter made an astonishingly good point about the effect of music, how the anger behind gansta rap breeds more anger which made me think of the light-hearted music of the early 1960s that brought out the flower child revolution, then how it was followed by protest music that raised anti-war activism.

Beyond that it went a totally different direction than I was expecting. Having found the book under 'Science', I was expecting information about the dynamics of sound in Physics. Instead it leaned towards the cosmic and I think would be better classified under Philosophy or even Theology.

Despite my misguided expectations, I found the book interesting. There were some ideas presented that gave me a lot of food for thought and although it sometimes got a little over my head, it made too much sense to dismiss as 'just new age'. I did feel there was a lot more on the power of emotion than on the subject of sound, but I did find it an interesting read.