LoraM

Progress: 26%
A Conjuring of Light
V.E. Schwab
Progress: 36%
SLEEPY HOLLOW: General of the Dead (Jason Crane Book 3)
Richard Gleaves
Progress: 74%
Don Quixote
Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Progress: 71%

No. 13 Toroni: A Mystery

No 13 Toroni  - Julius Regis

by Julius Regis

Victor Dreyel leads a reclusive life for many years, then suddenly gets a mysterious message. A wooden doll is sent to him, followed by a visitor.

This is an old 'sudden scream and then the door slammed' sort of Mystery originally released in 1922. Like many older stories, the plot progression is fairly predictable because they were the ones who did the tropes first, but it was well-written and the characters were especially done well.

I'm not really into murder mysteries so someone who is would probably enjoy this one much more than I did. For a short book, it did seem to take ages to get to the point but those who enjoy working out what really happened will have plenty of mystery and suspense to keep their minds ticking over.