LoraM

Black Wings
Megan Hart
Progress: 32%
The Unicorn Anthology
Henrnandez, Coville Bruce, Sara A. Mueller, A.C. Wise, Marina Fitch, Peter S. Beagle, Dave Smeds, David Levine, Carrie Vaughn, Karen Joy Fowler, Garth Nix, Patricia A. McKillip
Progress: 26%
Progress: 71%

The Last Werewolf

The Last Werewolf - Glen Duncan

by Glen Duncan

This started out with a different tone than I usually see in werewolf novels. More of a crime drama or conspiracy story tone as it's established that with the murder of a werewolf in Berlin, the protagonist is the last of his kind and an organisation that hunts down and kills werewolves will now be focused on him.

This was a very literary read. Despite a few descriptions of violence, the use of language made it a joy to read and the first person pov of the werewolf throughout felt very intimate and personal. I found myself wanting him to survive. It had a few very sexual references. Apparently being a werewolf sends the libido into animal rut. But both the sex and violence stopped short of becoming gratuitous, even if it nudged that parameter on occasion.

There was a lot of suspense well done and a few twists to keep things interesting. The last few chapters had me breathless!

The writing was so good that I went to see what else the author had written and found that this is actually a trilogy! I'll look forward to reading the next books. This was one of those stories that when it ended, I just had to sit a few moments, staring into space while processing the feels. It really had a strong emotional impact on me.