LoraM

Progress: 27/394pages
Loch Ness Revenge
Hunter Shea
Progress: 84%
The Second Sister (Amendyr Book 1)
Rae D. Magdon
Dark Ride
P.G. Kassel
Progress: 26%
SLEEPY HOLLOW: General of the Dead (Jason Crane Book 3)
Richard Gleaves
Progress: 14%

Trapped in Room 217

Trapped in Room 217 - Thomas Kingsley Troupe

by Thomas Kingsley Troupe

This is a children's Horror story, targeted at age 8 - 12. I'd say it's appropriate for that level, yet the writing is very good! It's part of a series of real life ghost stories, set in places where ghost sightings have actually been reported.

Jayla and Dion have to accompany their father, a landscaper, for a job in Colorado. It turns out that the hotel they stay in has a reputation for being haunted. Jayla is in seventh grade, her brother is a little younger.

As it turns out, the room they stay in has a resident ghost. When the children experience a sighting of the ghost, they set out to investigate.

I'm no expert on children's literature, but I think this was extremely good for the age group. The writing doesn't 'talk down' to the children's level so I was able to appreciate Jayla and Dion's adventure and concerns about getting into trouble for various things.

While the fear factor would be considered tame for the adult Horror reader, I think it pushed the scary parameters just enough to keep a child interested while not giving them nightmares, unless they're overly sensitive. It's still a ghost story and the dark can be frightening!

This would be an excellent choice for the sort of kid who enjoys Goosebumps or children's adventure stories.