LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

Taking Up Space
Chelsea Kwakye, Patience Oyenike Ogunbiyi
One Word Kill (Impossible Times #1)
Mark Lawrence
Progress: 52%
Little Darlings
Melanie Golding
Walking to Aldebaran
Adrian Tchaikovsky
The Immortal City
Amy Kuivalainen
Dracopedia Field Guide: Dragons of the World from Amphipteridae through Wyvernae
William O'Connor
Limited Wish (Impossible Times #2)
Mark Lawrence
The Dark Sides of Empathy
Fritz Breithaupt, Andrew B B Hamilton
Pagan Portals - Gods and Goddesses of Wales
Halo Quin
Progress: 19%
Unfettered
Kevin Hearne, Michael J. Sullivan, Brandon Sanderson, Lev Grossman, Patrick Rothfuss, Daniel Abraham, Shawn Speakman, Jennifer Bosworth, Mark Lawrence, Blake Charlton, Peter V. Brett, Geno Salvatore, Robert V.S. Redick, Eldon Thompson, David Anthony Durham, Peter Orull
Progress: 10%

Trapped in Room 217

Trapped in Room 217 - Thomas Kingsley Troupe

by Thomas Kingsley Troupe

This is a children's Horror story, targeted at age 8 - 12. I'd say it's appropriate for that level, yet the writing is very good! It's part of a series of real life ghost stories, set in places where ghost sightings have actually been reported.

Jayla and Dion have to accompany their father, a landscaper, for a job in Colorado. It turns out that the hotel they stay in has a reputation for being haunted. Jayla is in seventh grade, her brother is a little younger.

As it turns out, the room they stay in has a resident ghost. When the children experience a sighting of the ghost, they set out to investigate.

I'm no expert on children's literature, but I think this was extremely good for the age group. The writing doesn't 'talk down' to the children's level so I was able to appreciate Jayla and Dion's adventure and concerns about getting into trouble for various things.

While the fear factor would be considered tame for the adult Horror reader, I think it pushed the scary parameters just enough to keep a child interested while not giving them nightmares, unless they're overly sensitive. It's still a ghost story and the dark can be frightening!

This would be an excellent choice for the sort of kid who enjoys Goosebumps or children's adventure stories.