LoraM

Progress: 9%
Dark Voyage
Helen Susan Swift
Progress: 4%
SLEEPY HOLLOW: General of the Dead (Jason Crane Book 3)
Richard Gleaves
Progress: 30%
The Labyrinth of the Spirits
Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Progress: 53%

Barnabas Tew and the Case of the Missing Scarab

Barnabas Tew and The Case Of The Missing Scarab - Columbkill Noonan

by Columbkill Noonan

There's something about Victorian era book settings that brings out the use of language to fit within that setting and gives the story a certain flavour.

Barnabas Tew wants to be like his hero, Sherlock Holmes, but so far it's not going too well. He isn't nearly as clever and pretending to understand things when his assistant, Wildred, gets a reference that he doesn't does him no favours.

They've been given a case by Anubis to find a missing god. The trouble is, searching for clues in the underworld requires being dead! Traversing a landscape where they have to learn the rules as they go along leads to a constant state of confusion for the detectives.

This is a light, fun story. The journey through the realms of Egyptian gods added an interesting touch, although purists will wonder how the author assigned personalities to some of them, especially Maat and Hathor, who seemed way out of character.

It was a little slow moving in parts and had a sort of comic feel to it, but was overall enjoyable. The obvious set up at the end for a next book in series was actually rather well done, but the story works fine as a stand alone.