LoraM

Progress: 9%
Dark Voyage
Helen Susan Swift
Progress: 4%
SLEEPY HOLLOW: General of the Dead (Jason Crane Book 3)
Richard Gleaves
Progress: 30%
The Labyrinth of the Spirits
Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Progress: 53%

Doomsday Anthology

Doomsday - Samie Sands

edited by Samie Sands

Fourteen stories all on the theme of the world coming to an end. Of course such an idea intrigued me! I had never read any of the authors before but part of the idea of anthologies is to discover new voices. Like most anthologies, some stories appealed more than others. It's well edited and I don't remember tripping over any typos at all.

There were just three of the dreaded present tense stories and a couple of others where the writing wasn't up to scratch or the plot went nowhere, but also a few notable stories with interesting ideas stood out.

We had aliens, zombies, vampires eating zombies, people who melt, mythological gods, dystopia, dead people who stay animate long enough to testify against their murderers, WW3, immortality whether you want it or not and a fairy world dying. Quite a variety of approaches!

The stand out stories IMO are From Strange to Indifferent by Katie Jaarsveld and Nightmare Rising by McKenzie Richardson. Both of these are well written and explore some interesting ideas. The latter will be of particular interest to Fantasy fans.

Not too bad as such collections go and it's given me two more authors to pay attention to.