LoraM

Progress: 9%
Dark Voyage
Helen Susan Swift
Progress: 4%
SLEEPY HOLLOW: General of the Dead (Jason Crane Book 3)
Richard Gleaves
Progress: 30%
The Labyrinth of the Spirits
Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Progress: 53%

John Peters in the Land of Demons

John Peters in the land of Demons - A.H. Matai

by A.H. Matai

This one confused me in that the writing was stilted, much of it in short sentences like you might see in a children's book, but the characters were university age. There was some off sentence structure and weird word choices and eventually I decided that it must have been written by someone whose grasp of English is being seen through a foreign grammar structure. I tried to look up information on the author to see if they came from a non-English speaking country, but couldn't find anything.

There were some interesting ideas but the story just didn't flow. I do generally find stories involving demons very interesting. There was a lot of 'telling' as far as the character's feelings were concerned, mostly when they got angry. The premise of the story really attracted me but I just couldn't get into it.