LoraM

Lora's Rants and Reviews

My general opinions on books & occasionally other stuff.

She has a Broken Thing where her Heart should be
Alexander Starritt
The Art of Lucid Dreaming
Johnson Maureen, Res-Brennan Sarah Clare Cassandra
Progress: 26%
Wild Irish Heart (The Mystic Cove Series Book 1)
Tricia O'Malley
Progress: 119/206pages

I Am Legend

I Am Legend - Richard Matheson

by Richard Matheson

Vampires have taken over the world and only one human, Robert Neville, is left, trying to survive night after night while the local vampires taunt him and try to lure him out of his fortress. This is a post-apocalyptic story that reminds me of many zombie stories, where a lone survivor scrounges the shops and homes of a deserted world to find food and materials to stay alive. One man against the monsters.

The difference is the vampires can only attack at night and Robert takes advantage of their daytime sleep to kill as many as he can. The trouble is, this distracts him from getting other things done.

Sometimes I've thought he's being stupid with some of his decisions and his dependency on a wind-up watch to know when to get back home to his safe fortress. If it were me, I'd be moving daily and making it harder for the vampires to find me. There's plenty of room in his station wagon to carry a generator and a lot of materials.

Some of it didn't ring realistic, especially the first close encounter with fighting the vampires. Too much luck against too many numbers. That one should have been his fatal mistake. I wouldn't have even gone home once I'd worked out it was late, but holed up somewhere else. It doesn't take that long to board up a few doors and windows.

One thing I did find very interesting is when he tried to research the various folkloric methods for repelling vampires, to find a scientific basis for how it works (if it does).

Despite the character's mistakes, I found it a good read. Survival against the odds well-written generally makes for a good story.

Also suitable for: